Reply To: Post Week 46 Totals & New Goals Here

Home Forums Productivity Forum Post Week 46 Totals & New Goals Here Reply To: Post Week 46 Totals & New Goals Here

CPRider

Jeanne, I hear you on the swelling. I bought some compression hose from Amazon and wear them during busy writing weeks. Swollen ankles are no joke. 🙁

Hi, Cheryl,

I don’t actually sit down and write for three hours straight. I break it up into shorter segments, anywhere from half an hour to an hour depending on how intense the writing is. Although I came up with this method on my own, I think it’s similar to what’s now being called The Chunky Method. I find that if what I’m writing is intense emotionally, I reach a “saturation point” after anywhere from 30 minutes to an hours.

Also, in my old age, I’ve developed a problem with my feet and ankles swelling if I sit down and am stationary for too long. So I have to take breaks during the day and get up to walk around.  Sometimes, if my feet and ankles get to feeling like blocks of wood because I’ve been sedentary for too long , I have to lie down and elevate my feet. Then I try to read. But the trouble is, I fall asleep.

It’s a good thing I’m retired and don’t have to get up to go to work in the morning because if I sleep to much during the day, then I don’t feel like going to bet again until about midnight.

But, the chunky method works for me. I’ve been revising a romantic women’s fiction novel I wrote because it needs improvement. And, writing in chunks, I’m nearing the end. Three more chapters to go. Then I’ll have to put it aside for a while, then read it again to check the continuity and if the progression makes sense. Also, toward the end of this go round, I’ve also tapped into the characters’ voices better than I had before, so I’ll have to go back to incorporate that. Someday, maybe I’ll finish this novel enough so that I feel comfortable querying agents with it again.

In the meantime, I’ve discovered that I really like writing short stories, thanks to  Woman’s World Magazine, even if they didn’t buy the majority of the short romances I submitted to them. Now, in addition to submitting to short and flash fiction markets, I’ve decided to write stories for short story collections. I love cats, so maybe I’ll write a series of short stories about cats.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by jeanne_moore.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us