Reply To: Student: Kathy Strobos Homework Thread

Home Forums HOOK ‘EM DANO Student: Kathy Strobos Homework Thread Reply To: Student: Kathy Strobos Homework Thread

Linnea Sinclair

I know they are going to end up together but they are supposed to do it together. and once the romance has concluded HEA insight someone walks in and “tells you a character previously unknown did it and why(being something from left field that could not be gathered by previous story info. No matter how much I enjoyed the romance(or the writing) I feel the rug has been pulled out from under me.

Ditto. Often it’s a cheap-out. Often it’s the writer’s lack of knowledge of the secondary genre. Sometimes–depending on the house–it’s the editor. I’ve known NY authors who’ve threatened (through their agents) to pull books because the editor/CE basically gutted half the storyline. An author friend who writes in my genre had the unhappy situation when her editor moved on elsewhere and she was assigned a new editor who knew nothing of the SF half of science fiction romance.

My crit partner, YA author Stacey Kade, and I were in an elevator at a writing conference and some gals behind us were talking about trying to write a YA novel because “kids are stupid, how hard could it be?”.

Which is why I harp on KNOW THY GENRE.

//Interstellar Adventure Infused with Romance//
www.linneasinclair.com

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us