Reply To: Student: Rebecca Rector Homework Thread

Home Forums HOOK ‘EM DANO Student: Rebecca Rector Homework Thread Reply To: Student: Rebecca Rector Homework Thread

rebecca.rector
Participant

Lesson Two
(B)
1) What is the CHANGE used in the opener? What CHANGES or signals a change is pending?

She’s been hit by a bus. That’s a past change, though. But the first line “Dying should have been the worst moment in my life” and “or so I thought” signal that even worse changes might happen.

2) Name the EMOTIONS used in or generated by the change and note if they’re a fear or a core need or a combo.

Fear: death/Extinction is probably the reader’s fear

Core Need: Ability to handle Uncertainty–the reader is curious to see how the MC deals with the situation. (having read the book, I can see now that the author hits on almost all of the fears and needs within the book)

3. Why do these two openers catch your interest? Situation, style, pacing, voice, setting, or…?

I like the humor, voice, and unusual setting (in the middle of the road, ha!). We’ve already jumped into the “I’m dead” situation and I’m CURIOUS to see what happens next since it seems the worst has already happened.

(C)
1) What is the CHANGE used in the opener? What CHANGES or signals a change is pending?
The intruder alarm signals a change is coming, plus sighting the silver object.

2) Name the EMOTIONS used in or generated by the change and note if they’re a fear or a core need or a combo.

Fear: fear of being found out and maybe Loss of Autonomy if they’re found
Core Need: ability to deal with uncertainty (I think this is my (reader’s) need to see her deal with the uncertainty)

3. Why do these two openers catch your interest? Situation, style, pacing, voice, setting, or…?

I like the situation and setting with danger looming. The active female MC who sounds in charge is appealing. The image of the silver object seen through the cavern’s opening is memorable, especially since it means danger. I’m CURIOUS to see if they’ll be able to escape with a damaged ship, do they need to escape, what will happen next?

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us