Reply To: Student: Ana Morgan Homework Thread

Home Forums HOOK ‘EM DANO Student: Ana Morgan Homework Thread Reply To: Student: Ana Morgan Homework Thread

Linnea Sinclair

The CHANGE in this opener is Thomas Pitt’s unexpected summons by Queen Victoria, delivered by an emissary. Pitt’s everyday routine is upended—and he doesn’t know what to expect. The emotions are Loss of Autonomy, since he’s controlled by circumstances beyond his control, and Ego-death, since he is facing an unknown challenge to, or assessment of, his performance. This caught my attention because of the historical genre, where strict rules govern society-yet Pitt is the Head of Special Branch, so there must be some threat.

I know, it’s delicious, isn’t it? All the strict rules and hierarchies and required formalities… played up against the debauchery of the era, since this is–yes–a crime series. And to be summoned to the QUEEN… and Pitt, a commoner. Harrumph! 🙂 Now most readers of this series, of course, already know Pitt’s a commoner, already know some of his backstory but–even so–in this opening all we need to know is his era and… the Queen. The rest–that Pitt’s wife comes from a noted family, that Pitt himself is brilliant… well, it’s all moot if the queen wants his head, isn’t it?

This is also where SETTING can play subtly in the background. The contrast of  Pitt’s untidy desk with the man’s regimental tie and crested cufflinks… Just FYI, all.

This caught my interest (all the openers did), because it seems above the immediate issue of a possibly haunted house, their relationship is fraught with uncertainty, and this is an interesting thing to explore.

In contrast, this–the house renovation series–is lighthearted and contemporary with lots of fun twists. It falls into the cozy mystery genre, and the feel of it is different. But yes, there’s the relationship uncertainty and now… maybe a ghostie? Bwah-hah-hah… 🙂

Hints, all. Teasers. When something catches your interest, as you note, that something is tinkling a bit of dopamine and firing off a round of …wonder why…?

//Interstellar Adventure Infused with Romance//
www.linneasinclair.com

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us