Reply To: Student: Ellen Gilman Homework Thread

Home Forums HOOK ‘EM DANO Student: Ellen Gilman Homework Thread Reply To: Student: Ellen Gilman Homework Thread

ellen.gilman
Participant

Ellen Gilman/ Homework Lesson two:

I chose “F” as one choice.

Change in MC circumstances. Her Aunt dies and she receives an inheritance. She starts a new business with Derek and now he has just purchased a haunted house. Lots of changes, lots to look forward to finding out.

This setup caught my interest because of the setting (Small town) and the voice…..fun and light. Also the suspense of trying to guess what might happen.

possibly fear of commitment , fear of the unknown(ghosts) and fear of not being loved.

emotion: surprise , amazement and apprehension<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

My second choice was “G”

change: interruption in MC’s daily duties and change in his demeanor from possibly relaxed to fear at being called to see the Queen.

loss of autonomy, fear of being controlled by circumstances beyond our control.

fear of extinction, fear of unknown

emotion : worry, unease, uncertainty, wariness, dread

I liked this set-up because it was possibly based in history(setting) and also the suspense in the situation. ( I love reading British history books)

Linnea,<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

Ah-ha moment. 3) Why do these two openers catch your interest? Situation, style, pacing, voice, setting, or…? (Hint: Understanding that will help you craft stronger openings for your own stories.)<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

My choices made me realize situation, suspense and voice are probably most important to me.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us