Reply To: Student: Tami Blankenship Homework Thread

Home Forums HOOK ‘EM DANO Student: Tami Blankenship Homework Thread Reply To: Student: Tami Blankenship Homework Thread

Linnea Sinclair

Excerpt F There are multiple changes in this opener.  For me, the main change is when Derek lets the main character know that he bought a haunted house. I was like cool haunted house story!  The sentences after the mention of the haunted house did involve change ie the character had a huge life change in the form of moving and new romance.  I felt like those were more informational.

“F” is a series (by Jenna Bennett, who is a realtor in real life.) So is “A”  a series (Lisa Shearin, who is not a sorceress in real life–LOL!) (chased by the sorcerer in the bordello open) and both authors have a set style to open their series, which you can see here. Series are tough. I write one (my Dock Five books) and it’s always a crap shoot as to how much you inform or RE-inform readers. You can’t assume that the reader of Book 3 has read 1 and 2, but you don’t want to insult them if they have.

I think Lisa and Jenna do openers very well (which is why I use their books as examples). Definitely, they hit the key points. See, readers LOOK for those key points. Again, going back to Lisa Cron’s stuff, our brains are wired to start figuring things out from the first sentence. We can’t help ourselves. One needs to feed the need…

Excerpt B

The opening starts out with the mention of the main character dying.  Death is the big change.

The big emotion could be fear based on extinction and some fear based of off mutilation.  Except B really caught my attention because it was like BAM Alona is dead.  I gotta find out what the heck is going on here. I need to be comforted and know that even though she is dead it is going to be okay.

Haha–yeah. Death is a big change. 🙂 GOOD that you felt why the opener caught your attention. LOVE that you HAVE to find out what’s going on. Please remember that feeling when you craft your opening chapter. You’re not setting it up to TELL the reader what’s going on, but to make them seriously get jonesing to find out!

//Interstellar Adventure Infused with Romance//
www.linneasinclair.com

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us