Reply To: Student: Pepper North Homework Thread

Home Forums HOOK ‘EM DANO Student: Pepper North Homework Thread Reply To: Student: Pepper North Homework Thread

Linnea Sinclair

Answer:  There is definitely a reaction to a threat here and the change is both fascinating (we all want to see inside the bordello) and scary (knife wielding possessed one).  The emotions run the range of fear, disgust, humor, etc. to make the reader turn pages fast!  I liked this one especially because it had so many reactions wrapped up together.  I immediately liked the main character who could keep their crap together while being pursued by a possessed, knife-wielding man and yet have a dry sense of humor at the surrounding scene.  It reminded me of Jim Butcher’s books – who I love.

I immediately liked the main character who could keep their crap together while being pursued by a possessed, knife-wielding man and yet have a dry sense of humor at the surrounding scene. 

Ah, yep. There’s the reader involvement, that hook, that “incomplete information” yet enough that we GET the issue. Enough that the brain craves more.

This obvious change is death.  It pulls on a variety of universal emotions… the loathing of school gym uniforms and envy over a student’s car.  The statement that this character’s death wasn’t the worst thing that had happened draws you in to find out what is the worst.  Instantly, you want to know what’s the upcoming threat and a morbid fascination sets in!

Yunno, I was Stacey’s crit partner on this so long ago (and so many books ago) that I’d forgotten the impact of the school gym uniforms. UniversaleHate Trigger! Mine were white and starched and had a stupid flared skirt and, I think, cap sleeves which to this day I still hate…

Triggers for the brain, all. When we hit universal issues, things that we as people on this planet share somewhat in common (there will always be the odd one who loves something we as a culture dislike), the BRAIN responds with a brain-ly nod of agreement, and we’re then INTO the story. 🙂

//Interstellar Adventure Infused with Romance//
www.linneasinclair.com

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us