Reply To: Student: Ellen Gilman Homework Thread

Home Forums HOOK ‘EM DANO Student: Ellen Gilman Homework Thread Reply To: Student: Ellen Gilman Homework Thread

ellen.gilman
Participant

Fur- Get Me, Fur Get Me Not

Genre: cozy mystery. (My first attempt at one)

“Yikes, you look terrible.” Don’t tell me your dad told you that you weren’t chosen to be the lead lawyer on the Braxton Pharamaceutical case?”<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

“No, he did pick me, but I turned him down.”Daisy calmly answered her best friend.

“You did what?” Edward squawked as he stopped in mid-stride in the doorway to Daisy’s office.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

“Hold up.” Daisy held up her hand. “Listen to me. I’ve got a good reason. My mom needs me. I’m going home.” Daisy didn’t bother telling him even if she landed this plum position she’d been considering turning down her dad for several weeks.

“Are you even thinking clearly? What did your dad say? He’s been grooming you to be a partner here. If you give this chance up someone else, namely Sondra, may grab the brass ring from you.”

“Yes. you’re probably right. But lately I’ve been thinking maybe I’ve made a huge mistake. There’s got to be more to life than working twenty-four seven to get to be a partner here.”

Daisy clenched her hands together under her desk before she blurted out,<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>“Come with me?”

Edward grinned as he walked towards Daisy and slumped into the chair across from her, “Why darling are you proposing that we live together?”

New Chapter:

<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>Stunned into silence, Daisy blinked, opened her mouth to reply, but nothing came out. Where had that request come from?

Edward gave her one of his lop-sided smiles and took up the slack. “Okay. Let’s backtrack. Explain. Why does your mom need you so suddenly?”

“Unfortunately she broke her wrist last Thursday on an icy patch outside her shop. Her shop always does the flowers for the annual Fur-Baby Gala. It’s her biggest job of the year. She needs help.”

“Why not find someone in Houndsville to help her?”

“She did hire someone named Betsy, but she told me Betsy lied about her flower arranging ability, and she’s turned out to be belligerent to the customers. She said now she has no idea who can help her. She called because she’s feeling stuck.”

“So let’s say I understand. Seriously why would you want me to go? You’ll be back soon enough.”

<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>Daisy shrugged. She wasn’t sure herself why she had asked. And she had no good answers.It had been a spur of the moment decision. She remained silent.

“Okay, so if I can’t persuade you to stay when are you leaving?”

“At the end of the week. I plan to drive. It’ll take about seven hours.

“Daisy,  you don’t give a guy much time to decide.”And you really think no one will know we went together?”

“So let them think whatever. Houndsville, can be fun, and besides what are you going to do without me here?<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

“Okay, I have a feeling this is a huge mistake, but life without you here …well, that’s hard to imagine. Good thing I have vacation time coming.”

“You won’t regret it.” Was she sure about that?

Daisy’s eyes followed Edward as he left her office. His piercing blue eyes, killer smile, and teasing personalty drew many of the women in the firm to him. For a while now she knew their relationship was always a point of conversation. She could just imagine the gossip<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>being bandied about when they both left at the same time.

She hadn’t been totally up front with Edward. Lately, it always felt like her stomach was in one huge knot. It would be good to go home.

In the last several months she’d had pangs of regret for her choice of a career. The pace was so darn blistering. She never had time for friends or much of anything fun. But it all came to a head about three weeks ago.She attended a charity event where dogs needing foster homes were available to good homes.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

Soldier, a sable six year old collie captured her heart when he raised his paw to her. The forlorn look in his eyes nearly broke her. She turned her back on him. She had too. How could she be a good foster parent if she worked so many hours?<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

She’d left the event right after that. She couldn’t stay any longer. Still Soldier’s eyes haunted her for days. A zillion times she’d picked up her phone wanting to see if he’d found a home but she stopped herself. Going home could be life changing. Time to think and plan.

I do have one comment to add. I have a prologue when Edward and Daisy meet five years earlier. I didn’t submit that because it would be too many words, but I am considering starting the book with that event. Also so the reader knows Betsy is the person who will get murdered .

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us