Reply To: Student: Kate MacEachern Homework Thread

Home Forums HOOK ‘EM DANO Student: Kate MacEachern Homework Thread Reply To: Student: Kate MacEachern Homework Thread

Kate MacEachern
Participant

From Fantasy Novel The Black Prism by Brent Weeks – the series I am currently reading my way through and recommending to everyone.  For me there’s a sense of foreboding and desperation/danger in the old battlefield, the dangerous animals, and Kip’s determination to press on because he needs money – he is the breadwinner for his family though young and poor. That’s motive and sensory details and a lot of information about the character with humor at the end – the well-marbled Kip. I guess that falls into anecdote with a spice of prediction. Basically, this is a character I like in a tough situation whose getting on with what needs to be done when others would turn back. And I’m getting hints of a deep and interesting world.

Kip crawled toward the battlefield in the darkness, the mist pressing down, blotting out sound, scattering starlight. Though the adults shunned it and the children were forbidden to come here, he’d played on the open field a hundred times–during the day. Tonight, his purpose was grimmer.

Reaching the top of the hill, Kip stood and hiked up his pants. The river behind him was hissing, or maybe that was the warriors beneath its surface, dead these sixteen years. He squared his shoulders, ignoring his imagination. The mists made him seem suspended, outside of time. But even if there was no evidence of it, the sun was coming. By the time it did, he had to get to the far side of the battlefield. Farther than he’d ever gone searching.

Even Ramir wouldn’t come out here at night. Everyone knew Sundered Rock was haunted. But Ram didn’t have to feed his family; his mother didn’t smoke her wages.

Gripping his little belt knife tightly, Kip started walking. it wasn’t just the unquiet dead that might pull him down to the evernight. A pack of giant javelinas had been seen roaming the night, tusks cruel, hooves sharp. They were good eating if you had a matchlock, iron nerves, and good aim, but since the Prisms’ War had wiped out all the towns’ men, there weren’t many people who braved death for a little bacon. Rekton was already a shell of what it had once been. The alcaldesa wasn’t eager for any of her townspeople to throw their lives away. Besides, Kip didn’t have a matchlock.

Nor were javelinas the only creatures that roamed the night. A mountain lion or a golden bear would also probably enjoy a well-marbled Kip.

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us