Reply To: Student: Ellen Gilman Homework Thread

Home Forums HOOK ‘EM DANO Student: Ellen Gilman Homework Thread Reply To: Student: Ellen Gilman Homework Thread

ellen.gilman
Participant

Note to all my inmates….I just started reading a new cozy from one of my favorite authors who I would love to emulate. So far I am on page 33 and there is only one minor mention that something might go wrong. This book is one of a series and this book is number 11 but this book has lots of set-up and backstory. I am going to follow her example and see how it goes.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> I also tried to incorporate a lot of the suggestions I received. They were all good and at some point I know I will use them all so thank you inmates. You have been awesome!!!!</span>

Here goes the re-write for Fur-Get Me, Fur-Get Me Not  Linnea, P.S. I paid attention to the punctuation and spelling. Hopefully I got it all correct.

“Yikes, you look terrible. Don’t tell me your dad told you that you weren’t chosen to be the lead lawyer on the Braxton Pharamaceutical case?” Edward’s deep southern accent always caught Daisy by surprise and made her smile. Her best friend with his mussed longish dark hair never fit her image of a southern gentleman.

“No, he did pick me, but I turned him down.” Daisy forced a calmness into her voice she wasn’t feeling. Of course she expected Edward would check in with her, but she hadn’t expected him this early. She thought she’d have time to rehearse her response, and now she was caught off guard. Never a good thing in her world. Being diplomatic with her word choices was definitely not her strong point.

“You did what?” Edward squawked as he stopped in mid-stride in the doorway to Daisy’s office.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

“Hold up.” Daisy stood up and walked around her desk to shut her door. “No way do I want this conversation overheard.”<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

She grabbed Edward’s hand and pulled him over to one of the two ladder back chairs placed around a small round table. She sat next to him and took his hand in hers.“Listen to me. I’ve got a good reason. My mom needs me. I’m going home.” Daisy didn’t bother telling him she’d been considering turning down her dad for several weeks.

“Are you even thinking clearly? What did your dad say? He’s been grooming you to be a partner here. If you give up this chance someone else, namely Sondra, may grab the brass ring from you.”

“Yes. you’re probably right. And maybe I’ve made a huge mistake.”

“You think! So go back and talk to your dad. I’m guessing considering the relationship between your mom and dad you didn’t tell him you were going home.”

Daisy cleared her throat. She took a deep breath stared directly into Edward’s eyes and blurted out,” By big mistake I mean…there’s got to be more to life than working twenty-four seven to get to be partner here.” Yup, nothing like spitting out the truth in a tactful way.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

Daisy clenched her hands together in her lap struggling to spit out her feelings. “Don’t think I’m not scared. I am. But leaving here and going home might be what I need to do.” She paused before murmuring, “Come with me?”

Edward grinned as he reached across to Daisy and squeezed her hands in his.“Why darling are you trying to change the subject by proposing that we live together?”

<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>   </span>Stunned into silence, Daisy blinked, opened her mouth to reply, but nothing came out. Where had her request come from?

Edward gave her one of his lop-sided smiles and took up the slack. “Okay. Let’s backtrack. Explain. Why does your mom need you so suddenly?”

“Unfortunately she broke her wrist last Thursday on an icy patch outside her shop. Her shop always does the flowers for the annual Fur-Baby Gala. It’s her biggest job of the year. She needs help.”

“Why not find someone in Houndsville to assist her? What do you know about flower arranging? I hate to say this but you never struck me as the creative type.”

Daisy narrowed her eyes on Edward. “Sit right here.” She stood up, walked over to her desk and fished around in the top drawer until she found what she was searching for.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>Once she had the scissors in her hand she walked back and sat next to Edward.

“Grab that flower arrangement on the credenza behind you and hand it over.”

“Whatever for?” Edward asked even though he did what he was told.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>Daisy took the rather large silk flower arrangement from Edward and unceremoniously pulled all the flowers and greenery out of the crystal bowl placing everything on the table in front of them.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

What’s that green thingy for,” Edward asked pointing to the round green sphere with metal pins sticking up inside it still in the bottom of the bowl.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

“Believe it or not its called a Pin Frog.You stick the stems into the pins and it anchors the flowers in place.Watch me and try to learn something,”she said as she picked up about a half dozen blue hyacinths and some white daisies. “Several of these hyacinths are faded and some of the daisies could use their stems cut.” The<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> washed out </span>hyacinths she threw in a nearby trash can, and she used her scissors to drastically cut the daisies’ stems. The fernlike greenery she didn’t touch.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

Edward sat transfixed as she took her time sticking the hyacinths stems into the Pin Frog at various heights and then did the same with the daisies.She finished it off by interspersing the greenery between the blooms.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> She did have to end up cutting a few pieces of the fernlike greenery. Done she held the finished arrangement </span>up for viewing. “There. All done. Looks better huh?”

“Okay, I take<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>back what I said. How did you learn to do that? It looks like a different arrangement now.”

“Duh? My mom owns a flower shop. But for your information she used to teach flower arranging to some members of a local garden club. My sister, Hyacinth, and I joined in the class. I learned a lot, not so much Hyacinth. She can’t arrange flowers worth a darn. That would be why my mom reached out to me to help rather than my sister.”<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

“All right you proved your point but why can’t your mom find someone in Houndsville to hire?” <span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

“She did hire someone, but she told me Betsy, the new hire, lied about her flower arranging ability, and she’s turned out to be belligerent to the customers. My mom jokingly told me if I didn’t get there soon she might kill Betsy.

“So let’s say I understand. Seriously why would you want me to go?”

<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>Daisy shrugged. She wasn’t sure herself why she had asked. And she had no good answers.It had been a spur of the moment decision. She remained silent.

“Okay, so if I can’t persuade you to stay when are you leaving?”

“At the end of the week. I plan to drive. It’ll take about seven hours.

“Crap, you don’t give a guy much time to decide.”And you really think no one will know we went together?”

“So let them think whatever. Houndsville, can be fun, and besides what are you going to do without me here?”<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

“Okay, I have a feeling this is a huge mistake, but life without you here …well, that’s hard to imagine. Good thing I have vacation time coming, but no promises about how long I’ll stay.”

“You won’t regret it.” Was she sure about that?

Daisy’s eyes followed Edward as he left her office. His piercing blue eyes, killer smile, and teasing personalty drew many of the women in the firm to him. For a while now she knew their relationship was always a point of conversation. She could just imagine the gossip<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>being bandied about when they both left at the same time.

She hadn’t been totally up front with Edward. Lately, it always felt like her stomach was in one huge knot. It would be good to go home.

In the last several months she’d had pangs of regret for her choice of a career. The pace was so darn blistering. She never had time for friends or much of anything fun. But it all came to a head about three weeks ago.She attended a charity event where dogs needing foster homes were available to good homes.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

Soldier, a sable six year old collie captured her heart when he raised his paw to her. The forlorn look in his eyes nearly broke her. She turned her back on him. She had too. How could she be a good foster parent if she worked so many hours?<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

She’d left the event right after that. She couldn’t stay any longer. Still Soldier’s eyes haunted her for days. A zillion times she’d picked up her phone wanting to see if he’d found a home but she stopped herself. Going home could be good. Time to think and plan.

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us