Ah-hah Moments from 9 Openings to Avoid: the WHOLE article
– Pubrants – just finding that blog will be a great resource;
– have the setting impinge on your character. The difference in those two descriptions really struck me.
– the exercise to outline the action plot points by chapter
– the exercise to check for past-perfect verbs in your opening
– all the examples were illuminating
And I read Finders Keepers yesterday (couldn’t put it down) and I LOVED it! So funny too. Laughed out loud at several points (the line about the species of asshole on legs). And also an excellent lesson in ramping up conflict, making stakes higher, no way out.