Reply To: A Tale of TWO OPENINGS : Finders Keepers/Linnea Sinclair

Home Forums HOOK ‘EM DANO A Tale of TWO OPENINGS : Finders Keepers/Linnea Sinclair Reply To: A Tale of TWO OPENINGS : Finders Keepers/Linnea Sinclair

Linnea Sinclair

In the original opening, the two main things I noticed were quite a bit of backstory world building and not much action directly impacting the main character. She’s watching, observing, only moving stealthily toward the crash to pilfer valuables at the very end of the opening.

Yes, she is, and that’s the way a lot of us (me, too) start our first few pages because we’re warming up our engines. We may see the opening scenes clearly, or somewhat through a glass darkly. But UNTIL we put words down in front of us, the scenes continue to shift.

I wanted you all to see this. START SOMEWHERE, even if it feels wrong. Even if you need to just get the character on stage and let her tell you (me) the backstory and the sensations.

But don’t stay there. Keep revising while moving forward. You might not have the right first chapter until you’re in chapter ten. If that’s when the lightbulb goes off, go revise!

//Interstellar Adventure Infused with Romance//
www.linneasinclair.com

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us