Reply To: Week 35 Check-in

Home Forums Productivity Forum Week 35 Check-in Reply To: Week 35 Check-in

CPRider

Hi Jeanne:

There are two ways to log into Zoom meetings, on your computer or on your cell phone/tablet. I sometimes use my cell phone to host them because my husband works from home right now and my daughter is in college and takes her classes that way, too. If I do it on my phone, I can use data instead of Wi-Fi. Plus, if your computer doesn’t have a camera, I can pretty much guarantee that your cell phone does. So, either will work.

There is an app to download, but you don’t have to create an account. The Zoom site has a FAQ https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206175806-Top-Questions

During Zoom writing sprints, we sometimes chat a little right at the beginning, but we quickly jump in and sprint for the next two hours. We each mute our microphones (I have it set up where you come in muted unless you change it) and work alongside one another. We sometimes chat at the very end, too.  It sounds simplistic, I know, but you’d be surprised at how productive you can be when working with other writers. You can always give it a try and if it doesn’t work for you, that’s okay. Nothing works for everyone. You can also sprint on your own and report back to the group if you’d like some accountability that way. Whatever works for you!

Oh, and you don’t have to stay for the entire two hours. You can pop in, get your words done, and pop out. If you leave early, just use the chat feature to say goodbye so as not to disturb the others. Also, I don’t recommend sitting for 2 hours straight, so a lot of us get up and walk around after working for a while. Again, keeping the microphone muted so as not to disturb the others.

If you have any questions I haven’t answered here, email me at cpriderwriter@yahoo.com and I’ll do my best to answer them. (That goes for anyone reading this, by the way)

I felt the same way about traditional publishing in the beginning. I think the decision of self or trad publishing has to do with your goals. I’m certainly not opposed to traditional publishing, but it would have to be a very good deal for me (in terms of money or audience reach) to take the chance of signing away my series. Plus, I like putting books out on my schedule. Make no mistake, though, it’s a lot of work.

There are some great resources out there for indies. 20booksto50K on Facebook is a solid place to gather information and support. (I have no affiliation with them other than I am a member of the page)

I’m glad to hear you’re doing better. I’ve been thinking about you, my friend. Hugs.

Cheryl

Hi, Cheryl,

Tell me again how the sprints work.  What do we do while we’re in the meeting (is that what it is?) Do I need to join Zoom or something. My computer’s kind of old and touchy and doesn’t have a lot of space left on the hard drive.

However, I did download Kindle Create to a flash drive yesterday and maybe I’ll it’s possible to do that with Zoom, too.

I’m doing pretty well in keeping up with my goals. If I’m not writing, I’m learning how to self-publish on Amazon.

I was hesitating going the self publishing work and wanted to traditional publish because I wanted someone else to do the work for me. But increasingly, I can see that even though I’ll have to pay an editor and pay for a cover design, it’s still possible to make more income – and to keep all your rights – and have control over your work – if you self publish. Unless you’re JK Rowling or Monica Lewinsky telling all about foul play with Bill Clinton, you don’t make hardly anything going the traditional publishing route. I’m going to be 70 years old in October – I don’t have the time to take 40 years to become an “overnight” success going the traditional publishing route.

And I am working through the crisis and everything’s going to be okay.

Have a good week.

Jeanne

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us