This lesson is quite helpful to me for my historical novel that I was working on in the last workshop I took with you. This is the one with traveling actors (the O’Neal family) who got robbed and stranded in a small Central California town while they were traveling from their last engagement in Virginia City, Nevada to their next one in Calaveras, California. Where I got hung up was with why they would end up wanting to stay in this small town when they enjoyed the life they had.
I left off a the beginning of Chapter 16 with a word count of 40,000 words.
Briefly, my ideas for what’s going to have to happen next if they’re going to stay in this little town instead of traveling on are. I have not assigned what’s going to happen in each of the remaining chapters that need to be written.
- <span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Before they have a chance to put on their play, another fire breaks out in the bank (there was already one fire that broke out in the bank). It spreads to the town hall where they were going to have the play and the doctor’s office. All three buildings are unusable and will have to be rebuilt.</span>
- <span style=”font-weight: 400;”>The arsonist is caught. He has to be removed and sent to another jurisdiction for trial as the sheriff determines that he will not get a fair trial in Rainbow Junction.</span>
- <span style=”font-weight: 400;”>The gang that robbed the O’Neals is apprehended; the family’s $5,000 is recovered. </span>
- <span style=”font-weight: 400;”>They and the Captain John Davis and his wife (two residents of the town) and the town’s people fund a theater that they will own and they put on their play.</span>
- <span style=”font-weight: 400;”>The O’Neals become the foundation of the Rainbow Junction Theatre’s resident repertory company.</span>
- <span style=”font-weight: 400;”>The story ends with Piper O’Neal and Caleb McKenzie (the two main characters) romantically interested in each other. Caleb’s father Joseph and widow Consuelo Lang who owns the boarding house will also be romantically interested in each other so I’ve got to go back into what’s already been written to show that they are attracted to each other.</span>
Phew. This is a relief. This story’s been sitting around for quite a while.