Reply To: Lecture #3

Kathy Crouch
Participant

Hey Beth,

Work sapped my energy these past couple of weeks. I’m posting what I have for 1 & 2 here and I did go sign up. This will be a complete rewrite of a story I started and wasn’t happy with it. After more research and writing the story of Brigid & Liam, and another one that takes place during the Salem Witch Trials gave me more clarity for this one. I don’t know if that makes sense but that’s how it worked for me.

I usually have first names then wrestle with a last name. I’m a total panster. I will have a name like I’m writing a story now and the heroine is Tara and I can’t remember unless I go to page one or somewhere near the beginning, what last name I gave her. All of the characters have first names. I bounce between having characters all lined up, first name, and last name who they belong to things like that. Other times I have an idea and just run with it and pick a name out of thin air.

My characters for this are:

Prince: Hemming Wolff
Perhaps derived from Old Norse hamr “shape”, and possibly originally a nickname for a person believed to be a shape changer. Hemingr (Ancient Scandinavian) WOLFF German, Danish, Norwegian, Jewish
A variant of WOLF. He is cursed to turn into a wolf during random phases of the moon, to wander through his life never knowing when the change will hit him.
Brigid’s daughter, still trying to find the perfect name, the last name is O’Grady. I have considered this name for her: Cliona (KLEE-a-na) According to Old Irish legends, Clídna was the name of one of the three beautiful daughters of the poet Manannán mac Lir. A fairy named Clídna was the guardian spirit of the MacCarthy’s. Clídna had three magical birds that could sing the sick to sleep and heal them. In the tale of “Clídna’s Wave,” she falls in love with a mortal, “Keevan of the Curling Locks,” and leaves Tir-na-n’Og (“Land of Eternal Youth”) with him. But when he goes off to hunt, leaving her on the beach, she is swept to sea by a great wave, leaving her lover desolate.
The villain is a demon. He’s in the first book, he attempts to seduce Hemming’s mother, his wrath is turned on Hemming because Hemming comes between him and the queen The witch is tied to a demon who takes wolf form, then later as a god seeking Brigid’s hand in marriage that appears in the first book and in a book set during the Salem Witch Trials. I have to work out the connections still.
After thinking over your suggestion of the god killing Brigid. I came up with the solution of the demon possessing the god and killing her during the raid in which her daughter sees her ma killed and the “man” that did it.
Funny I wrote this, but in working the background out for the heroine I came up with the idea of her mother being a goddess who married a mortal. That’s when I ran into the dilemma of how to kill her if she’s a goddess. I thought of Arwen in The Lord of The Rings movies, where she says she chooses a mortal life. I decided that was the perfect solution. There’s also The Little Mermaid story or fairy tale that is similar. Anyway, I’m hoping this rewrite will be stronger and better than my original.
Hemming -around six feet, light brown, almost blond, hair, his beard a little darker closer to brown than blond, large hands to enable him to grip his battle-ax. (Interesting note I discovered in the research. The reason they were blond was because they used lye to bathe with because it prevented lice.) His eyes are dark like the color of a dark ale. Will become king upon his mother’s death if his father dies in battle before her.
Brigid’s daughter has auburn hair, that turns to the color of fire in the bright sun. I saw the perfect picture on Pinterest of what I think she should look like at the age of her mother’s death and later when she’s around 19 or 20.

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us