Reply To: GETTING NANO TOGETHER Lect #4 Mon Oct 12

Home Forums GETTING YOUR NANO ACT TOGETHER AHEAD OF TIME GETTING NANO TOGETHER Lect #4 Mon Oct 12 Reply To: GETTING NANO TOGETHER Lect #4 Mon Oct 12

Kathy Crouch
Participant

Hi Beth,

This is interesting. I have a Navy SEAL story that I started with the villain. Then the hero and heroine are in the next scene. The opening with the villain is sort of a foreshadowing. But everyone tells me to take it out. I had an editor reject my pitch and she even commented about the title Death List. But I write romantic suspense that combines sort of an action aspect. I wrote the original story for NaNo 2012 and wasn’t finished at 75,000 words. I kept working on it. I pitched it and received a request so I sent it off, but it was rejected which was no biggie to me. The rejection of the pitch last year or the year before tore a hole in me. Then I shoved it away and went on writing.

I have a lot of incomplete things. I will be working on something and my friends and I sign up for Camp NaNo and I usually start a new project. I do the same for NaNo generally. Put aside what I was working on and start something new.

I have a question. I know everyone says trickle in the backstory. In one of the stories I’m writing I have a woman the mother of a toddler whose now ex-husband beat her almost to death and walked out leaving her bloody and dying. It started when she stopped him from hitting their daughter who was about a year old. A feisty little girl. When she took the baby and put her in the pack and play, he turned on her. Anyway, the story starts months later. I wrote the entire scene of the backstory, but I don’t think it goes into the story.

I either come up with characters or an event and run with it.

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us