Reply To: Day 21: Self-Doubt

Home Forums REKINDLING THE PASSION IN YOUR WRITING Day 21: Self-Doubt Reply To: Day 21: Self-Doubt

jeanne_moore
Participant

Hi, Red!

Yes, it’s hard to believe that this workshop is over!

May dream when I retired from the 8 to 5 working world 6 years ago was been to be a best-selling author and make a million dollars. And then I found out that it’s really hard to make a million dollars writing. So then, my dream became to be a published author and make a “decent” income from my writing efforts. Then, a year ago, after writing 7 novels and receiving over 300 rejections, a small publisher offered me a contract for one of my historical romances. I had my doubts about a publisher who wanted all rights for five years and negotiable every year as to whether each party would want to continue. I couldn’t go through with it. But it was a morale boost just to have a publisher think my writing is outstanding.

That’s when I decided to learn how to used Kindle Direct Publishing and publish on Amazon.

When I started out writing after retiring, I went the other way; instead of self doubt, I was just sure I was writing the next great American novel. In reality, that first romance I wrote was pretty bad. I didn’t even know what POV was. When I finally did get feedback (instead of just the standard “sorry, this isn’t right for us” rejection from agents), the editor at a small press really ripped my manuscript apart. That’s when I joined RWA and started taking workshops.

Now, I tend to be rather paranoid and after finishing my rough drafts I go over and over and over them thinking that may be I can get them “just right.” And that they’re going to be full of mistakes if I don’t revise, edit and check for typos a billion times.

I’ve enjoyed this workshop and am sorry to see it come to an end.

Jeanne

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us