Reply To: Week 9 SIAW Check-in 💻

Home Forums Productivity Forum Week 9 SIAW Check-in 💻 Reply To: Week 9 SIAW Check-in 💻

jeanne_moore
Participant

Wow, week 9 already and a year of COVID. I’m really glad we have internet so we can keep in touch with friends from all over the world even though we’ve been restricted in where we can go and what we can do. And I’m glad to have my writing to keep me busy with something.

I’m averaging just under 5 hours a day and  averaging about 1,600 words a day. I’m really making a push to finish the rough drafts 7 “novelettes” I’m working on for my next collection. A novelette is longer that a short story but shorter than an novella (which starts at 20,000 words). And they’re really rough drafts.

This time, I haven’t been able to write in a  linear fashion. The ideas as the come to me aren’t in sequence. When I get them into the word doc, I have to make a note to the effect of [what goes between the this scene and the prior one], bold it and highlight it in yellow so I can come back and figure it out later in the revision/rewrite process.

This project is going to take a lot of revising and rewriting and additional writing before I get to the editing phase.

My next project is to learn marketing, which I’ve already started on with the FTHRW Book Marketing Fundamentals’ workshop, and I also have a book called How to Market a Book by Reedsy that I bought off of Amazon. According to the book, marketing is a skill that can be learned. The author makes an interesting point. He wrote that the key to marketing a book isn’t trying to sell it to people and make them buy it, but by positioning it so it gets noticed or seen by readers. Getting seen, like on the shelves or in a display in a book store or getting it seen on Amazon when people are searching for books to read (I guess that’s where things like key words come in). I’ve just started reading the book, so I’ll learn more as I read.

Well, that’s about it for me.  Have a great week, everyone!

Jeanne

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us