Reply To: WRITING EXERCISE #1 – Continuing to Explore Character Back Story

Home Forums STARTING YOUR NOVEL IN THE RIGHT PLACE WRITING EXERCISE #1 – Continuing to Explore Character Back Story Reply To: WRITING EXERCISE #1 – Continuing to Explore Character Back Story

Nancy Mayer
Participant

It is a trifle difficult to look at historical characters– especially peers and ladies of the aristocracy – and ask them about their job or how they got into it. For most, the answer is “I was born.”  I have found that almost every program that develops characters is written from the viewpoint of a modern character who, one might think, has a choice about occupation.   It wasn’t unusual for a father to decide a child’s future when he was no more than 12. Sometimes he was younger. Of course, he could dislike it or resent it but often  it was close to impossible to change it. Heirs, of course, couldn’t change anything.

What question( questions) might one ask characters of the past who really didn’t have much choice?
Girls could dream of going to university or being a doctor or lawyer– but universities were male only  in England until  the 20th century.

Yes, I know of a few  females who dressed as males but the majority didn’t.

What question might be substituted  for the first one  for those writing  novels set in the past?
Nancy

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us