Reply To: Week 21 Check-in 🏜

Home Forums Productivity Forum Week 21 Check-in 🏜 Reply To: Week 21 Check-in 🏜

Doreen Jensen
Participant

I’ve planted potatoes, carrots, parsnips, green(and Burgundy) beans, zucchini tomatoes and strawberries. The neighbors on both sides have black walnuts that have roots and overhanging branches on our side–avoid black walnuts at any cost.–nasty things– we have been experimenting with raised beds since the walnuts exude a toxin from roots and branches designed to keep other plants away from the soil nutrients– anything, not a bulb or shallow-rooted such as wildflowers get killed. They have been the bane of our existence. Then we had one aluminum shed where I stored my mom’s stuff– the walnuts punched holes in the roof that we couldn’t see and so much stuff was ruined. They also attract the cute squirrels who have turned our garage into a squirrel condo– squirrels may be cute but squirrel pee is not. I also hesitate to ward off the rabbits as I enjoy their presence, For a few years we had a frequent visitor–a groundhog who used to sun himself on our back porch. I told him if he touched my garden he’d become part of Doreen’s groundhog relocation program–he never did. We put out special food for him on a dish with his name(Grover). The neighbor’s gardens didn’t fare so well. but Grover kept his promise–probably figured the neighbor’s gardens had better pickings so he came for the specialty items. Backyard Builds is a HGTV show where they landscape and build writers’ caves, offices, she- sheds, BBQ areas and dining areas- basically have an outside house. I believe they are based outside of Toronto–wish I could afford them–I love their creativeness.

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us