Reply To: Lesson 3 The Role of External Challenges, Escalation

Home Forums MASTERING CHARACTER ARCS Lesson 3 The Role of External Challenges, Escalation Reply To: Lesson 3 The Role of External Challenges, Escalation

Ruchama
Participant

Responses to your concerns:

1. She shot Andrew when he came into her locked bedroom on a dark and stormy night. He was still believed to be lost or dead.

2. Yes, parolees were obliged to swear not to try to escape. That’s why only officers, presumed to be “honorable” so they would keep their word, were paroled.  Francois is a shady character.

3. Rebecca has bonded with Andrew, Daniel (and possibly readers) thinks she has fallen in love with him.

4. Being angry as a result of experiences with the British army is not bigotry. Her anger also is her defense against weakness and surrender. She cannot love Daniel until she forgives her British Enemy for the injuries they caused her and for separating her from Isaac. This, I guess appropriately belongs with internal goal, i.e. loving and being loved.  My post was an attempt at a “global” picture of her conflicts so I could catch up in one post.

5. The price of achieving goal: By the second attempt, she giving up her chance for love; also the attempt itself involves a huge risk. Being returned to the hostile, dangerous and often eventually fatal imprisonment is a tremendous risk. Taking that risk is a huge price.

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us