Reply To: Lesson #1 Deep POV. What is it?

Home Forums DIVING SEVEN MILES DEEP WITH DEEP POV Lesson #1 Deep POV. What is it? Reply To: Lesson #1 Deep POV. What is it?

Victoria Elliot
Participant

A Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare

When a girl trudged through the rain at midnight to knock at the Devil’s door, the Devil should at least have the depravity—if not the decency—to answer.

Minerva gathered the edges of her cloak with one hand, weathering another cold, stinging blast of wind. She stared in desperation at the closed door, then pounded it with the flat of her fist.

• What stands out first about the POV is that I know how the character feels. She’s annoyed.
  • This is third person POV. I know this because the use of the pronouns her and she.
  • This is past tense. I do think it makes a difference and I don’t think present tense would work as well, though I’m not sure I can put my finger on why.
  • I don’t know that anything needs to change to make the POV deeper, though if I wanted to be picky, I might suggest eliminating the phrase she stared in desperation, and instead describe what she’s staring at and try to convey her emotional state through description, rather than flat-out saying she’s desperate. However, with this being the beginning of the story, I’m not sure that kind of detail is needed here.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us