Reply To: Lesson #2: Should YOUR story be in Deep POV?

Home Forums DIVING SEVEN MILES DEEP WITH DEEP POV Lesson #2: Should YOUR story be in Deep POV? Reply To: Lesson #2: Should YOUR story be in Deep POV?

Victoria Elliot
Participant

Whose story is this? (Who are readers supposed to care about?)
Angie (CIA agent) and Nate (charter pilot)

Is there more than one character whose story this is? Do they need their POV to be featured just as heavily as the other(s)?
Yes. There are two main characters, each with their own emotional wounds, flaws and lies, and therefore the POVs are equally important.

If we limit the book through only a few POVs, what, if anything, will readers not learn that is essential to the story?
Anything that is learned about the mystery or the villains’ motives is based on what the POV characters know.

Do they need to learn this information before (or in a different way than) the character does?
Readers usually learn the information at the same time as the characters (or through characters’ prior knowledge/experience), though there may be instances where one character has knowledge the other does not, which gives the reader a one-up on that part of that character’s story.

What genre is your book? Who is the main audience?
Romantic suspense; romance readers are the main audience

Is Deep POV a common method of writing in your genre/audience?
Very much so, I think.

What are the benefits of having such a limited perspective for your story?
The mystery unfolds for the reader more or less at the same pace as it does for the characters. It also allows the reader to experience character emotions and reactions, which is important for the emotional component of the romance.

What are the cons?
It limits readers’ understanding of antagonist motivations. The author can’t just give relevant information, it must be delivered through the characters.

Is your narrator (POV character) reliable or unreliable?
Reliable, though I can see how important Deep POV would be almost essential if you had an unreliable narrator.

How would Deep POV enhance your story?
Readers experience the story as the characters do, which is part of what makes reading romance so satisfying.

How would Deep POV limit your story?
I don’t think it does, to be honest, but I guess if anything you run the risk of bogging down readers with interiority and emotion.

Bonus Q: What does your gut say about using Deep POV in this book?
Absolutely!

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us