Reply To: Lesson #1 Deep POV. What is it?

Home Forums DIVING SEVEN MILES DEEP WITH DEEP POV Lesson #1 Deep POV. What is it? Reply To: Lesson #1 Deep POV. What is it?

Katie McCoach
Participant

Thanks for sharing, Jeanne! Deep POV is about much more than the thoughts running through a person’s head, although that is a part of it. Internal thought can be used to get readers more invested in the character’s perspective…sometimes referred to as Internal Dialogue.

Hi, Katie,

This is my Lesson 1 homework:

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Jasper Dembenski could accept an ideosycrantic GPS, the blown tire and the five hail storms he’d driven through yesterday. It was the lack of coffee that was going to him in.</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>He shook the coffee can as if it would magically produce results.</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>(Susan Mallery’s </span><b><i>Meant to be Yours</i></b><span style=”font-weight: 400;”>, book 5 of the </span><b><i>Happily Inc.</i></b><span style=”font-weight: 400;”> series)</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>It’s definitely third person. I think it could be deep POV because we’re reading what’s going on with Jasper from his perception.  But I’m not really sure just what deep POV is. I keep getting the idea that deep POV is the thoughts running through a character’s head.</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>It’s definitely past tense.  Tense could make a difference. If it’s present tense, that would go along with a “stream of consciousness” type thing that’s running through the character’s mind and to me that would be deep POV.</span>

Katie McCoach, Instructor
Grow your best story!

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us