Reply To: Lesson #2: Should YOUR story be in Deep POV?

Home Forums DIVING SEVEN MILES DEEP WITH DEEP POV Lesson #2: Should YOUR story be in Deep POV? Reply To: Lesson #2: Should YOUR story be in Deep POV?

Laura Russell
Participant

Homework Lesson 2 Deep POV

Whose story is this? My plastic surgeon heroine. This is a romance with two POVs. Each character has an arc, although the heroine’s arc is more challenging. The heroine’s POV has. more page time. I haven’t calculated the ratio, but about 60/40.

What might reader miss? I haven’t come up with key information that can’t be conveyed by POV characters or their co-workers. Hospitals are like a small town with lots of opportunities for ‘you know, Bob!’ I need to think about what is outside the characters’ awareness that reader can track through the story.

Genre: contemporary medical romance. Audience: romance readers, skew older, likely to be in a profession that involves travel.

Deep POV is often used but not used consistently in contemporary romance. I’m considering some scenes that are DEEP POV and some that are not. I wrote the first draft in 3rd person limited with 2 POVs. The scenes that take place in the OR could benefit from deep POV.

As I imagine a book that is both POV, both deep, I wonder if that would be as compelling as one POV deep (Heroine), one not (hero). As I imagine ALL Deep I wonder if that will have the tone I’m trying to achieve. Some of the scenes have deep meaning but some are light.

My narrators are reliable.

I am not sure yet if these revisions will lead to consistent Deep POV!

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us