Reply To: Lesson #2: Should YOUR story be in Deep POV?

Home Forums DIVING SEVEN MILES DEEP WITH DEEP POV Lesson #2: Should YOUR story be in Deep POV? Reply To: Lesson #2: Should YOUR story be in Deep POV?

Katie McCoach
Participant

CP,

YES to this. The idea of giving readers hints but through Betty’s POV. There are so many things a character might see without knowing what it means, but readers can read between the lines. A character may note something someone says, or their body language, without actually putting it together themselves. This is a fun way deep pov can indicate unreliable narrators too. It’s hard, and sneaky, but completely doable. It comes down to knowing how much your character “sees” while they “see” things. If that makes sense.

They’ll learn what they need to know when Betty does. I drop hints that Betty doesn’t notice right away, so readers are a bit more “in the know,” but they have to make a logic jump to get there. I do spell it out for them later.

Also, THIS. It’s definitely harder to do, but SO much more rewarding. Making use of details like this and sharing what actually makes sense from a specific perspective allows for seamless storytelling. This is really when readers forget they are reading and that is everything.

It can be limiting when describing the main character. No one looks in a mirror and thinks, “I ran a comb through my long, sable hair.” They just say, “I ran a comb through my hair.” So I have to find ways for side characters to work in those details about her. Little things like that can require a bit more creativity.

Katie McCoach, Instructor
Grow your best story!

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us