Reply To: LESSON 6: Brainstorming Scenes From Your Character’s Point of View

Home Forums NANO PREP THE BARE BONES WAY LESSON 6: Brainstorming Scenes From Your Character’s Point of View Reply To: LESSON 6: Brainstorming Scenes From Your Character’s Point of View

catherine.chant
Participant
I’ve been debating what to do about my hero. When I first started this class, my initial thought was to have the man who owned the debts be the villain and have another be the hero. As I’ve been going through the exercises for the heroine I’m now feeling it would be better to have the debt owner be the hero and have it be an enemies to lovers story. But the first book in the series is enemies to lovers and I don’t know if that would be too repetitive and it would be better to go with something different for this book. As far as plotting stories, I seem to get caught up in wondering whether one idea for the story is better than another. Sometimes I find it hard to decide between two options, do you have any tips for pushing through indecision?

Hi Cynthia,

The man with the debts certainly has great conflict with the heroine and that’s important for a romance. As long as the circumstances of the “enemies to lovers” trope aren’t exactly the same in both stories, I think it could work. It’s a common (and popular!) premise for a romance.  But now is a great time to play with ideas to test the waters. If you were to go with another man as the hero, what would his conflict with the heroine be? Since her goal involves the house, he should have something to do with that.  Long lost relative of the husband coming to claim the property perhaps?

As for multiple story ideas, I’m a firm believer in never throwing anything out. I keep a folder on my computer with all my ideas and write them down as soon as they come to me (afraid I’ll forget later!) and sometimes just that act of getting it down on paper/computer is enough to get it off my mind now that I’m reassured it’s safe somewhere for me to come back to.

But explore possibilities now at the idea stage, before NaNo starts, so you have a strong plan going into the challenge. Ask yourself, if the man with the debts is the hero, what does that mean for the story? Look at what type of person he’d have to be to make a good hero and see if that feels right to you. Then consider what a possibly alternate hero might look like and how that might change the story, keeping in mind at all times, that the conflict between the hero and heroine needs to be strong. You want them to challenge each other. If you have that, you’re on the right track.

Cathy 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Catherine Chant, http://www.catherinechant.com/
Rock 'n' Roll Time Travel Romance for Young Adults

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us