Reply To: LESSON 6: Brainstorming Scenes From Your Character’s Point of View

Home Forums NANO PREP THE BARE BONES WAY LESSON 6: Brainstorming Scenes From Your Character’s Point of View Reply To: LESSON 6: Brainstorming Scenes From Your Character’s Point of View

catherine.chant
Participant
I have a notebook that is filling up with various journal exercises and miscellaneous notes in an unorganized fashion. I was wondering how you go about organizing the notes in preparation for NanoWriMo.

Have you heard of Scrivener? ( https://www.literatureandlatte.com/ ) I’ve used this for years as my drafting and organizational tool. It has a “binder” where you can keep all your notes, even pictures and other types of documents like web pages and PDFs, and it has a place to write the manuscript  where you can divide things up by scenes, chapters, Acts, however you like to organize your story and move things around with simple drag and drop.

It’s been around for a while so there are lots of great tutorials for it now, and Gwen Hernandez teaches an excellent class on Scrivener.

When I was using just Word to organize things, I usually kept the manuscript in one file and a loose outline in another that I would then add things to as I thought of them. Mostly I liked to write things in a physical notebook so I could look at it while I was at the computer, and I’d use those little Post-It Note flags to make an index to find things quickly. I’ve also done the sticky notes on the wall method for arranging my scenes. 🙂

Scrivener has an index card cork board built in, so I don’t use the wall as much anymore, but sometimes seeing something physically in front of you, not on the computer, helps with my writing process. For example, I liking making old fashion collages for characters or settings on poster board sometimes,  and keeping it by the computer for inspiration.

Cathy 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Catherine Chant, http://www.catherinechant.com/
Rock 'n' Roll Time Travel Romance for Young Adults

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us