Reply To: Lesson 2 Emotion

Home Forums WRITE FLASH FICTION! Lesson 2 Emotion Reply To: Lesson 2 Emotion

shari.heinrich
Participant

Feel – Write – Move, Shari Heinrich’s process behind the piece:

thank you, Peter! When I wrote this, I put myself back in grade school, when I got made fun of for an outfit I loved, which my mom had made for me. We weren’t always a middle class family, with my dad self employed, and especially during the lean years, Mom would make clothes for us because back then, it was cheaper than buying. So I dug into that memory and tried to push it farther, what if all I had was something threadbare, and I didn’t want my family to see my hurt, so I’d have run somewhere to hide, and I’d be angry at the unfairness of it all.

Then, because I’m a gardener, and preserve my goods when I have a good harvest and have kept the deer out (yippee, the 6′ movable fence did the job I hoped it would!), I thought about a friend who had really lean years, and she shared a story with me of how her mom’s garden basically saved their lives because of its bounty, when they couldn’t afford to buy food, and put a bunch up for winter. That helped me think of the hope that a spare bit of food brings, when you realize it still has life in it, and potatoes can sure be a bountiful crop if planted in the right soil and tended.

I’m so glad the sorrow, anger, and then hope all came through.

And I’m looking forward to seeing what others come up with.

Shari

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us