Reply To: Lesson 2

Anonymous

Hi there
    I write time travel romance – although the first book and the two that I have planned to follow it’s more across time – parallel lives – rather than back to an earlier period.

1. What do you enjoy reading?
    I love books that push the boundaries of what is possible, and I enjoy strong romantic themes. Some of my favourites are The Time Travellers Wife, the Outlander series, The Two Lives Of Lydia Bird, The Midnight Library. I’m also a huge fan of Jojo Moyes. However, I read widely beyond this and love a good thriller or crime novel, historical fiction and women’s fiction. I’m comfortable with most levels of sex scenes in my reading material, although I probably wouldn’t choose to read erotica.

2. What are you comfortable having other people associate with your work?
    Although I’ve chosen to write under a pen name, that is partly to give me some scope to write in different genres under different names in the future. I am comfortable with the heat level I’ve included so far and have no problem with anyone I know reading it, including my 80-year-old mum, although she is pretty broad-minded for her age. I don’t have children, so that’s not a consideration. I work in a school, but I keep a pretty clear line between work and my private life, but the pen name does have the advantage of making that distinction clearer. I’m not worried if someone in the school community should make the connection. I am prepared to stand my ground if anyone tried to make an issue of what I do in my spare time.

3. What level of intimacy does your story dictate?
    My stories require sensual to steamy. I’m trying to show the intimacy and connection between the couples and the sexual relationships are quite important and so need more than a fade to black.

4. What are your (genre) reader expectations?
    The readers of comparable books to mine are going to probably expect to see sex scenes but not erotica. So I feel I’ve got a pretty good match. I’ve used Diana Gabaldon’s as a bit of a yardstick – might push mine a little further occasionally, but I think my ideal reader will not be surprised by the heat level,

5. What do you hope to accomplish in your book by including a sex scene?
    I think the sex scenes show growing degrees of intimacy and connection between the main characters. Their relationships develop to where sex is a natural part of the story. In fact I think the story would be less without it. In my first book which goes live in a couple of weeks, there are a couple of scenes where the sex is part of healing the relationship and I think it works well. I hope my readers agree!

Thaks for the examples you provided. It was good to see how the definitions I had in my mind matched up against them.