I have 2 books I published without having an editor or beta readers look at them – made the mistake of thinking I’d done a really good job editing them. I had ordered a couple of copies of each book at least a year ago and hadn’t read them. Well, a couple of weeks ago, I decided I’d better read them in case there were any typos. There were. They were both filled with so many errors, it wasn’t funny. Almost all the errors were either typos or that I’d left a word out in a sentence or I’d repeated words twice. The stories were good; they flowed well and followed a logical progression, so I’d done well as far as editing in that regard. It was the number of typos that was really horrendous. Also, one of the paperbacks had margins that were too narrow in needed to be a little wider, especially on the side next to the binding, so that had to be fixed. And, now that I know how to design the covers, I designed a new cover for one of them (paperback and eBook) – I had previously used Kindle Cover Create for both covers and felt one of them needed to be better and more attractive.
This was the first time I published a paperback with a cover I’d designed in GIMP rather than KDP’s Cover Create and I was apprehensive about it. But it looks fine – I even got the bar code on the back cover in the right place. Now I will order author copies of the books I re-published to see how the physical copies look.
Meanwhile, I’m ready for a beta read and then an edit on the collection of short stories I finally finished editing.
Now I have two WIPs that I intend to be novellas that I started that I need to continue writing. Nothing like keeping busy and keeping myself distracted every time I start getting depressed and thinking I’m at death’s door again – although I’m not doing that as much as I was.
Hope you’re all doing well. Have a good week.