Hook ’em in 5! Contest is currently a work in progress and all
information will be uploaded to website when it is ready.
Literary agents and editors receive hundreds of submissions every month with the idea of getting through the pile and looking for anything they see that will put the manuscript in the reject stack.
Many agents also ask for only the first give pages, and make their decision on everything from their first impression on presentation (spelling, punctuation, too many adjectives and adverbs, and the standard industry requested format), to bigger issues to include but not limited to, the opening, dialogue, characterization, setting, and pacing.
If one can at least get through the first five with a partial, full or synopsis request, you have done very well, indeed.
Of course it’s important to research the agent’s wish list before sending anything.
Hook ’em in 5! is a contest about helping the writer be aware of how they’ve written their first 5 pages, and if it will stand out among the vast competition.
Whether a novice or seasoned writer, we wish every one success in their WIP with a goal to publication.
Entrants must be over 18 years of age at the time of entering their work.
Entrants must not have accepted a publishing offer for, or self-published, a work of original fictional narrative prose.
The submission must be the entrant’s original work and have not appeared, either fully or partially, in any format available to be seen by the general public.
Entrants must submit the work using their name, not a pen name. A pen name may be used when announcing their win, if requested.
The competition is not open to members of the board or their family members.
We are not judging specifically by category.
However, all of these are acceptable, under Romance, and will be used for Final Round Judges.
Young Adult/New Adult
First Round: Two Judges per entry.
Second Round: Ranking completed by two professionals in the publishing industry. Scores from both judges will be combined. Highest total scores determines each winner. A comment section will be available for judge feedback, though it is not required.
FTHRW reserves the right to change a final judge if the initial judge must bow out.
Please note: A judges’ decisions are not the responsibility of the contest coordinators or FTHRW.
All decisions are final.
Errors and omissions stand.
Second Round Judges: Still working on this
Agent: Scott Eagan, Greyhaus Literary Agency
Editor: Elizabeth Trout, KensingtonAgent: Nikki Babri, Tule
Editor: Dana Grimaldi, Harlequin
Editor: Heather Howland, Entangled
Editor: Jennie Conway, St. Martin’s Press
Editor: Heather McCorkle, Owl City Press
Editor: Amy Acosta, Entangled
Agent: Dawn Dowdle, Blue Ridge Literary Agency
Editor: Allison Lyons, Harlequin
Young Adult/New Adult
Editor: Kelly Petterson, Rees Literary Agency
Editor: Erin Molta, Entangled
The TOP FIVE scores will be awarded a cash prize of $50.
Choice of either cash or Amazon Gift Certificate.
All entrants will receive the scoresheets from each judge along with their judged submission. Judges are encouraged to give additional feedback at their discretion.
Important Dates – Submissions not open:
1st: Contest opens for submissions – December 1st, 2023
December 31st: Deadline for submissions 11:59 PM Pacific Time
First round finalists announced end of January 2024.
The final Top Five Winners announced at the March on-line writer’s retreat, 2024.
- First 5 pages (1500 words maximum per entry). BEST ADVISE: Don’t try and squeeze in as many words to reach the max. 1500 words. It’s far more important to end on a hook, even if it is 4 pages. Also don’t end in the middle of the sentence.
- NOTE: If your entry exceeds 1500 words it will be disqualified.
- Must be your original, unpublished, and un-contracted completed manuscript. Never been published.
- Maximum of 2 entries per person.
- Entry fee is non-refundable.
Entry fee: $30 for FTHRW members and $40 for NON-members (US funds paid through PayPal on entry form.)
Additional entries: $20 for a second entry (US funds paid through PayPal on entry form.)
Please note that each entry can only be entered once, as they are not judged by category.
Limit to 2 entries per person.
Each entry needs to be submitted and paid for as a separate entry.
Entry fee is non-refundable.
Entry Format, How to Submit:
- Entry must be in proper manuscript format (double-space, One (1) inch margins all sides, Times New Romans with size 12 font).
- First 5 pages (1500 words maximum). BEST ADVISE: Don’t try and squeeze in as many words to reach the max. 1500 words. It’s far more important to end on a hook, even if it is 4 pages. NOTE: If your entry exceeds 1500 words it will be disqualified.
- Entry must be saved as: .pdf, .doc, docx or .rtf
- Do not include a synopsis.
- Each page will have a one-line header with Title and page number on the right side.
- DO NOT put your name on any of the manuscript pages. If your name appears on the entry (except entry form) you will not be entered in the contest.
- Fill out the Cover Sheet.
- Complete Entry Form.
- Attached cover sheet, first five pages, and submit.
- Automatic confirmation will be sent.
Please see our FAQ page to include guidelines on how to format using some versions of Microsoft Word.
Become a Judge!
You MUST read the judge guidelines first, and agree to the
guidelines. Then fill out the judge application.
Volunteer to Judge!
Click here: FAQ
Please note: All judges’ decisions are not the responsibility of the contest coordinators.
All decisions are final.
Errors or omissions stand.
Disclaimer: The rules on this web page as of January, 2023, override any previous rules.