Pages From the Heart Contest
Electronic entry will be no more than the first 5,000 words of your original, unpublished, and uncontracted work-in-progress or completed manuscript..
The Pages of the Heart contest is open to all authors who have not accepted a publishing offer for, or self-published, a work of original fictional narrative prose of 20,000 or more (by August 1, 2020) in the genre they are entering. The manuscript must be your original work. Authors who have previously been published may enter if they have not been contracted or published in the last three years (has not been published or contracted since August 1, 2017)
Contemporary Novel – SHORT: (category romance, includes Novel with Strong Romantic Elements) Romantic novels, which may also include sensuality that may or may not be intense. Manuscript is set from 1950 to the present with a projected length between 40,000 and 65,000 words. The end of the book is emotionally satisfying and optimistic.
Contemporary Novel – LONG: (single-title romance, includes Novel with Strong Romantic Elements) Romantic novels, which may also include sensuality that may or may not be intense. Manuscript is set from 1950 to the present with a projected length of more than 65,000 words. The end of the book is emotionally satisfying and optimistic.
Historical Novel: Manuscript is set in any historical time period before 1950, has a strong romantic element throughout, and a projected length of more than 40,000 words. The end of the book is emotionally satisfying and optimistic.
Paranormal/Fantasy/Futuristic/Time Travel Novel: Romantic novels featuring paranormal happenings, a fantasy world, the future, or time travel as an integral part of the plot. Manuscript has a projected length of more than 40,000 words. The end of the book is emotionally satisfying and optimistic.
Romantic Suspense/Mystery Novel: Romantic novels featuring suspense or mystery as an integral part of the plot. Manuscript has a projected length of more than 40,000 words. The end of the book is emotionally satisfying and optimistic.
Young Adult Novel: Romantic novels appropriate for young adult readers. Includes young adult heroes and heroines not exceeding 18 years of age. Manuscript has a projected length of more than 40,000 words. The end of the book is emotionally satisfying and optimistic.
Please note: FTHRW reserves the right to cancel a category if an insufficient number of entries are received, and to limit the total number of contest entries to 150. Contemporary-Short and Contemporary-Long may be combined if the number of entries is insufficient for one of these categories.
First Round: Three Judges per entry.
Read our judging guidelines here.
Second Round: Ranking completed by two professionals in the publishing industry. Scores from both judges will be combined. Highest total score determines each category winner. A comment section will be available for judge feedback, though it is not required.
FTHRW reserves the right to change a final judge if the initial judge must bow out.
Second Round Judges (Will be announced prior to contest opening)
Prizes (Will be announced prior to contest opening)
All winners will receive a Website/avatar graphic, certificate & name in contest winners section of the RWA Report.
Long Contemporary –
Short Contemporary –
Romantic Suspense –
Young Adult –
Hero of the Heart –
Second Place: Choice of: (TBD)
Why should I enter the Pages From the Heart Contest?
–All entrants and judges are invited to participate in our webinar “Inside the Mind of a Contest Judge” to help understand how to polish your manuscript for entering and/or judging your entry.
– All finalists’ and winners’ names will be listed on the FTHRW website with a link to one social media site of the writer’s choice.
– All entrants will receive the scoresheets from each judge along with their judged submission. Judges are encouraged to give additional feedback comments at their discretion.
– Blank First-Round Judging Scoresheet as well as Judging Guidelines are available below so potential entrants can see what’s being evaluated.
– Upon exiting the contest, we will encourage feedback from contestants, judges, and other volunteers. We want to provide a contest that YOU want to be a part of!
August 1st: Contest opens for submissions
August 31st: Deadline for submissions 11:59 PM Pacific Time
November 1st: Finalists announced
January 1: Winners announced on or before this date..
Entry fee: $26 RWA members and $21 for FTHRW members (US funds paid through PayPal on entry form.)
Multiple entries: $16 for subsequent entries (US funds paid through PayPal on entry form.) Please note that each manuscript can only be entered once.
- Entry must be 5,000 words or less
- Entry must be saved as a .doc or .docx file
- Entry must have one-inch margins, first line of paragraphs indented, and is double-spaced or set to have exactly 25 lines per page
- Font is either Times New Roman 12 or 14 or Courier 12
- Header: Title / Division – Category / page number
- Author’s name must NOT appear anywhere on the manuscript and personal information must be cleared from the file. See our FAQ for directions on how to clear your identifying information.
Fill out the Cover Sheet. The Cover Sheet is designed to provide judges with a great deal of information about your entry that will help them to critique/comment in the most objective manner possible. The Cover Sheet also indicates if you want your entry to be considered for the Hero of Our Heart Award. If the Cover Sheet is not filled out, your entry’s hero will not be entered for this award.
You must send the cover sheet and your entry as two separate files. Please attach the cover sheet to the same email you use to attach the entry.
Please see our FAQ page for guidelines on how to format using some versions of Microsoft Word.
How to Submit:
There is a three-step process for submissions:
- Submit your entry form for the category you wish to enter by clicking the link below. After hitting submit, it will direct you to paypal.
Please fill out one form for each entry. For second and third entries, etc., choose the “Additional Entry” option in the paypal drop down menu.
- Download the Cover Sheet and fill it out.
- Email the entry (not to exceed 5000 words) and Cover Sheet as two separate attachments to the correct category coordinator.
Please use the following subject line: FTH Contest Entry – Title / Category
example: PFTH Contest Entry – Fifty Shades of Lust / Hist
Email to the following address:
Would you like to become a Judge?
Would you like to see a copy of our scoresheets?
First Round Score Sheet
Click Here! Frequently Asked Questions
Please note: All judges’ decisions are not the responsibility of the contest coordinators.
All decisions are final.
Errors or omissions stand.
Disclaimer: The rules on this web page as of August 1, 2019, override any previous rules.